Welcome to a behind the scenes look into the life and times of Aran Healy and David Grega; the two sommeliers, friends, and visionaries behind Carlotta Cellars.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Finding Solace.


















So much is happening right now that its hard to stand back and put it all in perspective. I'm moving on Monday. I'm also preparing to bottle all next week. On top of that, I still have my day job. I'm a little stressed, but somehow I managed to get three days off before all this goes down. My lovely girl and I decided to take a road trip up to Mendocino to visit my mom, and try and squeeze in some wine tastings as well. Luckily I was able to start the trip off right by getting a tasting appointment at Merry Edwards in Sebastopool. Needless to say the good vibes were in the air for the rest of our trip thanks to wines like the 06 merrideth estate pinot, and the grand 08 sauv blizanc! (holla atcha boy). We arrived in redwood valley just in time for moms home cookin, and crashed afterwards with ease. Waking up in the morning was hard, mainly because the morning frost made my joints ache, apparently its still winter up there. For about 3 hours in the AM the ladies and I worked on prepping the garden for spring time vegetables.. this is a rewarding task mainly due to the fact that next time i come to visit, my mom will load me up with baskets of homegrown produce! After working up a sweat, Carolyn and I took an excursion 30 minutes west of Ukiah to Orr hot springs, where we soaked in the hot water mineral baths for the afternoon. Besides the few unkempt nudies walking around, it was a great time. When we woke up this morning we cruised over to Chiarito's winery/bachelor. This is a winery to watch for! This guy works 3 acres of head trained zinfandel, Nero D'Avola, and Negro Amaro. A true Champion of efficiency; he grows, makes, and sells the wine all himself. A fun trip, but im literally waist deep in boxes trying to polish the open bottle of 08 merry edwards SB... so until next time! Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment